Killing some more time

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by TitanUranus, Sep 15, 2017.

1. TitanUranus

TitanUranus New Member

Well, I need to just go ahead and admit it.

I have a thing for Flying Vs.

I'm not proud of this, you understand. I tried to be normal. I tried to like those Less Pauls and those Strutocoasters, but they're just so....... vanilla.

I gotta get my swerve on, ya know. I like a bend in the road, a kink in the hose, a hitch in my get along. I guess I'm just a sick ****.

Anyway, this showed up while I was washing my horseless carriage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now this isn't my first V. It isn't my only V. But I didn't have one of these Government Issues and I found this one with all the certificates and case candy and the secret formula to KFC and all the rest of that stuff and .... much like that guy that was supposed to watch his brother's still, before I knew it goose pimples was runnin' up and down my body and a feelin' came over me like somethin' I'd never experienced before. It was like, like I was in love.

And so it goes down here in North Carolina. Y'all have a good weekend.

2. golferwave

golferwave Active Member

I love the look of the Flying V ... Yours is a beauty!

3. golferwave

golferwave Active Member

What's the official color? - Looks kind of like a champagne.

4. TitanUranus

TitanUranus New Member

Gibson refers to it as "Government Tan". I am under the impression that all the Series II guitars were in tan.

"Gunmetal Grey" was another color used in 2012 and the 2015 run of 335s, and I think I have seen pictures of some olive drab ones. The finish is VERY flat and it can be a real PITA trying to figure out the colors looking at pictures on the internet.

I am also under the impression the very first ones made came in some really REALLY green cases. I am thinking they are the really scarce ones.

EDIT: Okay, these numbers are from an internet forum (insert eye rolling smiley), but the production of the first batch was cited as being "300 LP's, 300 SGs, 100 Explorers, 100 Flying V's". These would be the green case models.

I can find no info on production numbers on the second series or the 2015 run of the 335s (which is no surprise, because Gibson never gives out total production numbers unless it is a limited numbered edition). By all accounts, the first series was gone in the blink of an eye and never even got a web page on Gibson's web site. All the series two guitar's web pages are still viewable on Gibson's site, along with the 335.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  5. golferwave

golferwave Active Member

They must have been under the radar with those. Good lookin' axe!